Wednesday, March 28, 2012

IFR to Hamburg

... besides some little airwork, mainly to stay current and save some money for the larger trips to be done this year, last months have been quite calm if it came to flying. Nevertheless, last weekend I took the Diamond 42 on an IFR-trip to EDDH (Fühlsbüttel airport, Hamburg, Northern Germany), where I shot this overhead picture of EHAM (Schiphol) while repositioning for Echo Echo Lima VOR. No job in aviation so far after almost 2 years of graduating and spending another pile of euros into remaining current... The longer it lasts, the more regrettable it gets... and it sure did hurt hearing all those lucky commercial guys on the frequency again. If even splendid references & a flawless track through the ATPL training @ flight school while doing a fulltime job do not seem to count nowadays, I wonder if it's still worth the effort investing all my savings into just remaining current... However, so far... the call of the skies and a slight hope for better times ahead in commercial aviation do prevail.

2 comments:

Vincent said...

I still come and have look at your blog from time to time, hopefully things are looking better now and you have no time to update your blog because of a job/type rating. I was lucky that my flight school got a connection with ryanair, not the best place to be but lot's of houres. take care!

Pieter Heeze said...

Hi Vincent

So far still rated but no cockpit job yet. After a few applications and as many autoreplies from RyR (via OAA) I finally got a "personal" message where it said my profile did not match what the company was looking for and a kind request not to contact them since the process a lot of enquiries. However I only had good passes on all exams so far and keep flying multi-engine & IFR very regularly (all self-funded :-/). But, being 31, I guess the only reason why not wanted by them is that I am too "old"... which is a pity since I can rely on a lot of (professional) experience. I wouldn't even have a problem to sponsor (part of) a future cockpit career if a certain degree of job security would be guaranteed.

So, still looking around at the moment.

Best regards,

Pieter