Sunday, September 05, 2010

Line Operational Flight Training (LOFT)

The one but last part of the ab initio pilot practical course at OAC consists of a few missions to be flown on the DA42 simulator as if it were "operational" flights, which means in fact "as-real-as-it-gets flights" from one European hub to another. That means that, to fly it close to reality, we are asked to attend the sime session fully prepared with actual weather, notams, navlog and validated [but not filed] flightplan. Concerning the last item, I think they would go completely mad at Euroncontrol if they would also receive simulator flightplans ;-).

So, to get back to the item, over the last 2 weeks I flew a handful of missions during which I was confronted with things that may happen during a real flight. The aim is to see whether a student, being me in this case, can cope with high workload, sound decision making as well as correct usage of the emergencies and abnormals checklist, while maintaining safe control of the aircraft.

The flight which I best remember is that one from Toulouse (Blagnac) to Geneva (Cointrin), where a radio reporter took place in the back seat of the simulator for an "inflight" interview of my instructor and finally myself... after I landed the aircraft safely with a left engine fire (simulated off course ;-)).

Nice one also was the mission which took us on a flight from Barcelona (El Prat) to Nice - what's in a name ;-)... where a plane crashed on the runway at the moment I had passed the initial approach fix already. That off course resulted in a go around and diversion to... Cannes.

Quite a challenge was the flight from München (Germany) to Salzburg (Austria) with a loss of oilpressure on my right engine near destination and the resulting loss of engine on fully established ILS with published circle to land approach on the opposite runway.

I also did one from Brussels to Amsterdam and another one from Stansted to Rotterdam. Luckily after all we don't have to pay landing taxes in the sim ;-).

... and my final CPL/IR check is coming very near now, which means the story that started almost started 3 years from now is almost at its happy end. Fingers crossed for my exam next Monday!

No comments: