Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Graduated!

... last weekend was very busy. Since yesterday I had my final exam before graduating, I had to perform 2 checkflights with the "real" Diamond 42 to allow my instructor to evaluate my skills and put stress on weak points eventually.

During the 3 hour flight we reviewed it all: from departure stalls, clean stalls, steep turns, one engine out circuits and landings, dead reckoning navigation and inflight diversion up to the IFR-work such as DME-arc, bearing and radial interceptions, NDB&VOR-holdings and IFR approaches both one engine out and all engines working. The verdict: fully ready and skilled for the exam!

So Monday September 13th 2010, 15h50... the big moment... engines soon running and off I went with the examiner right-seated. Off course I was a little nervous since a lot depended on passing for this exam, my future career! But I can't say at all that I was dying from stress. After all, I had done these things so many times, why would I be afraid to fail? Off course, to stay focussed and alert is to be part of good airmanship. As far as I could objectively judge myself, it felt like all things went smooth and fine. Happily after all my examiner shared the same feelings and declared me fully passed on the exam after engine shutdown about 2 hours later. What a relief, loads of stress tumbling off me. That put a brilliant crown on 3 years of hard work. And yet it is not finished, in fact... it's just beginning. Time to start the jobhunt... after which I hope to get back to you with good news!

I would like to end this chapter with a big "THANK YOU!" for all support received from my parents, sister, friends, employer(s) which supported my choice for a job above the clouds, ... and any body else who I may have forgotten. Thank you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ccept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory" And you did ! Congratulations, mum.

Anonymous said...

GOOD JOB AND GOOD LUCK!

Hans said...

well done! I followed your blog from the beginning. Seems like Brussels Airlines is still hiring/starting type ratings. Thomas Cook is also going to take 4 or 5 cadets and TUI for sure since they have their own TUIfly Academy that needs to keep running. Here in Ryanair they also still hiring. Market is still not great but better then a year ago

GOOD luck

Anonymous said...

Proficiat, we zijn heel blij voor je, da ge geslaagd zijt ma we hadden eigenlijk niets anders verwacht, maar toch super gedaan , toppie!!(das van jetair om in het zelfde thema te blijven natuurlijk)
Hoe moeten we je nu aanspreken als we je nog es zien???
Heel veel succes, en als ge over vliegt vergeet niet te zwaaien é...
Salutjes en nog drie dikke piepers,
groetjes sunshine

Pieter Heeze said...

@ mum (& dad): thanks, also for the support áll the time... véry much appreciated!
@ Hans: nice to have people like you following this story ;-). I have applied at TCAB and am still in the running, so... who knows, maybe?! Let's hope. I also know about Ryanair and may have a look in the near future... perhaps we ever meet up there. Since I was told that aviation can be a small world, I never say never ;-).
@ sunshine: gewoon "Pieter" is al meer dan genoeg zulle ;-). Piepers terug en tot meets (ik begin spoedig aan de interieuropknap en daarna gaan we nog eens voor een culinaire meet&greet hier hé ;-)).